Many legal issues can arise when you are serving on an HOA Board. Our Los Gatos HOA attorneys aim to resolve any legal disputes involving HOAs in an efficient manner, including through mediation or arbitration. However, certain situations might arise in which a party – such as a homeowner – files a lawsuit in civil court against the HOA. If this happens, you want an experienced HOA litigation lawyer handling the case.
While litigation can be initiated for any number of reasons, the following are some common reasons why an HOA might face litigation.
- Failing to upkeep the premises
- The Board’s denial of a homeowner’s plans
- Due assessment challenges
- Disputes regarding voting or elections
- Homeowners attempting to restrict a Board’s abilities
- Disputes over pets
- Discrimination claims against the Board, including violations of the federal Fair Housing Act, the California Fair Housing and Employment Act, or the Americans with Disabilities Act
Defending a lawsuit can be costly for an HOA, especially if the defense is unsuccessful. It is essential to have the right attorney representing your HOA who can uphold the interests of the association.
Before a case gets to court, however, there are steps your HOA can take to minimize the chances of litigation. As soon as you suspect that a homeowner has a grievance or there might be a conflict, you should enlist the help of an HOA lawyer who can help resolve the matter out of court. Preventing litigation to begin with can save everyone involved significant resources.
Speak with Our HOA Lawyers in Los Gatos
If your HOA has a legal conflict or you are facing litigation, you should not delay in consulting with a Bay Area HOA attorney from Pratt & Associates. We understand the rights and needs of HOA Boards and homeowners, do please call 408.369.0800 or contact us online.